“Faith Reviving” and Bob Kauflin

I blogged a week or so ago about the lost gem of Augustus Toplady’s text “Faith Reviving.” I was curious of its availability on any vocal musical recording, so I emailed Bob Kauflin, the Director of Worship Development for Sovereign Grace Ministries, and asked him if he was aware of any. I received a very kind reply from him saying that he was not aware of any CD with this hymn on it and that he wasn’t familiar with this text. I also asked him if he would consider writing a new tune for it and including it on a future Sovereign Grace CD, and he said that he would. He will probably adjust the lyrics a bit as well so that they are more understandable to a modern-day audience. This is exciting news. Keep an eye out for this song on a future Sovereign Grace recording. (Though I’m not a big fan of Sovereign Grace’s musical style, I really appreciate many of the solid texts that they are putting out.)

See my previous post: “Faith Reviving” | Augustus Toplady.

, , ,

7 Responses to “Faith Reviving” and Bob Kauflin

1. Ted Slater August 23, 2007 at 11:18 am #

Great news! I would love to hear Bob’s interpretation of this rich hymn.

2. George Higginbotham January 25, 2009 at 4:21 pm #

For nine years we sponsored a church in our home. Toplady’s hymns “Faith Reviving” was one of our most favorite hymns. I think (but I may be wrong) that it was J.I. Packer that called it one of the best hymns with regard to the doctrine of a definite, non-hypothetical atonement. This is especially in regard to the third stanza and the lines “God will not payment twice demand, First at my dying Savior’s hand and then again at mine.” Is that not marvelous theology.

I am not a musically trained person, but I can sing this one easily. I wish I could figure out how to post the melody we used.

3. Rick Owen November 17, 2009 at 3:24 pm #

I wrote a tune for this years ago and recently updated a posting of it at ReformedPraise.org.

I think this link might take you straight to it: http://workshop.reformedpraise.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20

If not, under “Songs” on the main page at Reformed Praise, select “Workshop.” On that page, select “Updated Hymns.”

4. George Seevers March 4, 2012 at 7:03 pm #

I am a friend of George Higginbotham. Years ago I painstakingly literally cut and pasted Faith Reviving to the melody “Ariel,” by Lowell Mason. This is hte same melody used for the hymn, “O Could I speak the Matchless Worth.” Just this week, a young lady in our church put the melody and words together, using music software. If you will send me your email address, I will send you the files in both PDF and JPEG.

George Seevers

5. Rick Owen February 8, 2014 at 11:11 am #

Update on FAITH REVIVING. This Dropbox link includes a new piano draft, lead sheet and discussion guide for this song. Hope this edifies!

6. Rick Owen February 21, 2014 at 2:43 pm #

New URL for the Dropbox above: https://www.dropbox.com/home/Faith%20Reviving%20-%20effective%20atonement