New Edition of the ESV with the Apocrypha

ESV with ApocryphaA friend of mine pointed out to me that Oxford University Press is publishing an new edition of the ESV which includes the Apocrypha. The expected release date is December 31, 2008.

Here’s a selection from the publisher’s description:

This Bible [the ESV] has been growing in popularity among students in biblical studies, mainline Christian scholars and clergy, and Evangelical Christians of all denominations.

Along with that growth comes the need for the books of the Apocrypha to be included in ESV Bibles, both for denominations that use those books in liturgical readings and for students who need them for historical purposes. More Evangelicals are also beginning to be interested in the Apocrypha, even though they don’t consider it God’s Word. The English Standard Version Bible with the Apocrypha, for which the Apocrypha has been commissioned by Oxford University Press, employs the same methods and guidelines used by the original translators of the ESV, to produce for the first time an ESV Apocrypha. This will be the only ESV with Apocrypha available anywhere, and it includes all of the books and parts of books in the Protestant Apocrypha, the Catholic Old Testament, and the Old Testament as used in Orthodox Christian churches. It will have a lovely pre-printed case binding, and will include a full-color map section, a table of weights and measures used in the Bible, and many other attractive features.

More info here:

Maybe this is old news, but I don’t recall seeing anything about this in my slice of the blog world.

HT: Sam Bray

, ,

7 Responses to New Edition of the ESV with the Apocrypha

1. Thomas October 10, 2008 at 5:14 pm #

When is Logos going to provide the apocrypha for all of the Bible translations? Many of the versions that Logos currently sells have an apocrypha available but very few are provided by Logos. Extra paper is certainly no problem :).

2. Phil Gons October 10, 2008 at 5:15 pm #

Good question! I’ll have to check and see.

3. Doug October 11, 2008 at 8:45 am #

Hi Phil,

Do you know what the relation will be between the original translation team, led by J.I. Packer, and this group of translators?

Thanks

4. Phil Gons October 11, 2008 at 9:00 am #

Doug, good question. I’m not sure. All I know is from this line in the description:

The English Standard Version Bible with the Apocrypha , for which the Apocrypha has been commissioned by Oxford University Press, employs the same methods and guidelines used by the original translators of the ESV, to produce for the first time an ESV Apocrypha.

If you find anything out, I’d be interested to hear it.

5. Doug October 11, 2008 at 9:01 am #

Phil, right…I noticed that line too. I guess I’ll keep an eye on the ESV-related blogs for more info.

Thanks.

6. Bob Burns October 17, 2008 at 5:14 pm #

I’ve not made a big attempt to acquire the Apocrypha on my Logos CD-ROMs, but have managed to accumulate a few that came as parts of bigger packages of things. To date I have the Apocrypha for the KJV, RSV, NRSV, and NAB in the Logos Suite, and how sweet it is!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Merits of the Older Language | Cogito, Credo, Petam - October 2, 2010

[...] in the Tyndale-KJV stream (though the ESV committee, despite J. I. Packer’s being an Anglican, didn’t translate the Apocrypha). There are, however, features worth preserving in the old BCP that don’t mesh as well with newer [...]