Nope, not Bob Jones this time, for which making national news is fairly commonplace.
Heritage Christian School in Findlay, OH, a ministry of Calvary Baptist Church and the small school where I attended from kindergarten through 12th grade, has been getting a lot of unwarranted bad press over the last few days for suspending a senior who knowingly and willingly disobeyed schools rules—ones he and his parents had agreed to abide by—by attending the local public high school’s prom with his “girlfriend” (in a video interview, the girl said that they’d been dating for all of “a week and a day”).
The story was picked up by a number of news sources:
- The Courier: “Don’t go to prom, school tells teen” (also at Yahoo: “Ohio Christian school tells student to skip prom” and MSNBC “Christian school tells boy to skip prom” via AP)
- Fox Toledo: “Trip to prom could cost student” (a couple of videos)
- WTOL: “Footloose in Ohio: Teen suspended for attending prom” (a couple of videos)
- Fox News: “Christian Ohio School Threatens to Suspend Student If He Goes to Prom“
- Daily Telegraph: “Christian teen faces suspension for going to girlfriend’s prom“
One of the videos is on YouTube and is embedded below.