Systematic theologies are some of my favorite books. I have nearly 50 in my print and digital libraries and a list of more than two hundred others that I’m working to see added to Logos Bible Software‘s already impressive digital offerings. The vast majority of systematic theologies are written by one author, and more often than not they fill a single volume. But there are a couple of “systematic theologies” that are made up of a series of books featuring a different author and volume on each of the main themes of evangelical theology.
Foundations of Evangelical Theology
- Demarest, Bruce. The Cross and Salvation: The Doctrine of Salvation. 1997. 544 pp. [Amazon | Crossway | Logos | WTSBooks]1
- Feinberg, John S. No One Like Him: The Doctrine of God. 2001. 879 pp. [Amazon | Crossway | Logos]
- Clark, David K. To Know and Love God: Method for Theology. 2003. 464 pp. [Amazon | Crossway]
- Cole, Graham A. He Who Gives Life: The Doctrine of the Holy Spirit. 2007. 320 pp. [Amazon | Crossway | WTSBooks]
- Allison, Gregg R. Sojourners and Strangers: The Doctrine of the Church. 2012. 496 pp. [Amazon | Crossway | WTSBooks]
Feinberg, Paul.TBD. Scripture. Forthcoming.
- Sung, Elizabeth. Man and Angels. Forthcoming.
Gruenler, Royce.Wellum, Steve. Christ. Forthcoming. Vanhoozer, Kevin.McCall, Tom. Sin. Forthcoming. VanGemeren, Willem.Allison, Gregg. Eschatology. Forthcoming.
By the release dates so far, I’d guess that another is due out in the next year or so. If you know anything about the future volumes, please share in the comments.
Contours of Christian Theology
- Bray, Gerald L. The Doctrine of God. 1993. 281 pp. [Amazon | IVP | WTSBooks]
- Letham, Robert. The Work of Christ. 1993. 284 pp. [Amazon | IVP | WTSBooks]2
- Helm, Paul. The Providence of God. 1994. 246 pp. [Amazon | IVP | WTSBooks]
- Clowney, Edmund P. The Church. 1995. 336 pp. [Amazon | IVP | WTSBooks]
- Sherlock, Charles. The Doctrine of Humanity. 1997. 303 pp. [Amazon | IVP | WTSBooks]
- Ferguson, Sinclair B. The Holy Spirit. 1997. 288pp. [Amazon | IVP | WTSBooks]
- Macleod, Donald. The Person of Christ. 1998. 303 pp. [Amazon | IVP | WTSBooks]
- Jensen, Peter. The Revelation of God. 2002. 304 pp. [Amazon | IVP | WTSBooks]
Runia, Klaus.Höhne, David. The Last Things. Forthcoming. Canceled? Reassigned?[IVP]
It’s been seven years since the last volume was released. My guess is that the final volume on eschatology has either been canceled or reassigned. According to Wikipedia, Klaas Runia died on October 14, 2006 in Kampen. Perhaps he didn’t finish his volume before his death at the age of 80. Does anyone know the story on the final volume?
Update: It appears that this volume has been reassigned to David Höhne and is available for pre-order from IVP.
I’m a bit surprised that we don’t have more series like these. Anyone know why? Are there any other systematic theology series that I’m forgetting?
New Studies in Dogmatics
Zondervan recently announced a new series called New Studies in Dogmatics, edited by Michael Allen and Scott R. Swain, which has the following volumes planned:
- Wood, Donald [University of Aberdeen]. Holy Scripture. Forthcoming.
- Sanders, Fred [Biola University]. Triune God. Forthcoming.
- Swain, Scott R. [Reformed Theological Seminary]. Divine Names. Forthcoming.
- Crisp, Oliver D. [Fuller Theological Seminary]. Election. Forthcoming.
- Shuster, Marguerite [Fuller Theological Seminary]. Creation. Forthcoming.
- Vanhoozer, Kevin J. [Trinity Evangelical Divinity School]. Providence. Forthcoming.
- Jenson, Matt [Biola University]. Humanity. Forthcoming.
- Treier, Daniel J. [Wheaton College]. Christology. Forthcoming.
- Blocher, Henri [Faculté Libre de Théologie Ėvangélique]. Redemption. Forthcoming.
- Horton, Michael [Westminster Seminary California]. Justification. Forthcoming.
- Allen, Michael [Reformed Theological Seminary]. Sanctification. Forthcoming.
- Holmes, Christopher R. J. [University of Otago]. Holy Spirit. Forthcoming. 352 pp.
- Billings, J. Todd [Western Theological Seminary]. Sacraments. Forthcoming.
- Davidson, Ivor J. [University of St. Andrews]. Eschatology. Forthcoming.
- Sonderegger, Katherine [Virginia Theological Seminary]. Prayer. Forthcoming.
- Kapic, Kelly M. [Covenant College]. Christian Life. Forthcoming.
Foundations for Faith
In the early 1980s, Crossway published this incomplete series, Foundations for Faith: An Introduction to Christian Doctrine, that covers some of the key areas of systematic theology. Most volumes are out of print, and it’s unclear if it was abandoned or never intended to cover everything.
- Kaiser, Christopher B. The Doctrine of God. 3d ed. 1982. 150 pp. [Amazon]
- Helm, Paul. The Divine Revelation. 1982. 129 pp. [Amazon]
- Wells, David. The Person of Christ: A Biblical and Historical Analysis of the Incarnation. 1984. 205 pp. [Amazon]
- McDonald, H. D. The Christian View of Man: An Introduction to Christian Doctrine. 1981. 149 pp. [Amazon]
- Wallace, Ronald S. The Atoning Death of Christ. 1981. 192 pp. [Amazon]
- Toon, Peter. Justification and Sanctification. 1984. 162 pp. [Amazon]
Updates: I added the projected volumes in the Foundations of Evangelical Theology series based on the information in the comments below. I updated the volume on last things in IVP’s CCT. I also added Zondervan’s New Studies in Dogmatics series and Crossway’s partial Foundations for Faith series.